Sunday, August 3, 2008

Allowing Steroids in the Olympics

I turned on the TV today and was hooked on a documentary called "The Man Whose Arms Exploded". Now I had also read an article recently that this guy got arm transplants so I had automatically related the two events together thinking it was a medical special. To my surprise, it was a show on bodybuilding and steroids. This 5'5 guy had 28" arms and looked like a freak in general. Finally, one arm exploded when he got an infection and his biceps and triceps looked like they had been inflated to the size of small melons.

So where am I getting at this? I wonder whose athletic career is going to explode for the worse at the Olympics. My thoughts on steroids at the Olympics is just screw it. Let them do it. Aren't we skeptical of the Olympic winners anyways? I don't even know if any Olympic medal winners can be clean. And don't we want a spectacle? Don't we like to watch trainwrecks? Let them get juiced up out of their minds and push the limits of human capabilities. Or die trying. Our kids revere these athletes but then they can see who these freak shows really are and what steroids can truly do to you.

Let's peal back the layers of hypocrisy and not have our kids worship false idols. And in the meantime, let the athletes put on a good show.

No comments: